Creating quality, engaging videos is easier than you think. As you teach, work and communicate remotely in this new video-first world, consider these video best practices to ensure a seamless experience for your viewers.
BE THOUGHTFUL OF YOUR ONLINE AUDIENCE
- Use your presentation and on-camera presence as an opportunity to speak directly to your online audience.
- To best connect with your online viewers, speak directly to the webcam. Resist the urge to read from another screen.
- Refrain from making inside jokes with other presenters. If your audience isn’t in on it, they will feel disconnected.
WEAR APPROPRIATE CLOTHING AND ACCESSORIES
- Wear solid colors. Medium shades, pastels or off-white works well for shirts and blouses.
- Avoid tight pin stripes, busy patterns or very dark suits.
- Don’t wear shiny, loud or distracting jewelry or scarves.
POSITION YOURSELF SO THE CAMERA SEES YOU
- Avoid distracting backgrounds. Find a clean space where the focus will be on you, not the room you’re in.
- Remaining stationary behind a podium/ table is encouraged.
- Focus up your shot so that you are centered and take up the majority of the screen.
- Avoid excessive movement like swaying. One technique is to point one foot forward and put your weight on that foot, leaning toward the microphone.
- Don’t second-guess the camera. Act as if you are always on screen.
- Before your presentation, test your audio levels by speaking into the microphone. Make sure you are speaking at your usual voice level.
- Make sure you speak clearly.
- When possible, use a hard-wired microphone and don’t rely on just your computer audio. If you’re using a wireless microphone:
- – Place it on your lapel, outside of clothing and away from jewelry.
- – Try to keep it directly under your mouth and not too far to the left or to the right.
- – Do not fumble with your microphone when it is on.
- – Make sure your phone is completely turned off as it may interfere with the sound system.
- – Remember to turn your microphone on before the start of the presentation and off at the end.
KEEP IN MIND WHAT YOU SHOW ON THE SCREEN IS WHAT WILL BE STREAMED TO YOUR ONLINE AUDIENCE
- PowerPoint, software demo, video or content from other devices (whiteboard, document camera, etc).
- Mediasite will automatically record any digital content while you present.
- For best results set your laptop screen resolution to 1280 x 720.
Download your copy of Video Best Practices