As the coronavirus continues to rapidly spread, public health officials around the world have responded with mandated social distancing and and quarantines.
Online learning for students
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine: According to a MedPage Today article, Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York shifted to virtual learning with Mediasite and Zoom. All remaining clinical skills testing is being done via video. Read the article
- University of Leeds: The United-Kingdom-based university, which is home to one of the world’s largest automated video learning programs with Mediasite, is seeing a rapid growth of faculty creating lecture videos during this virtual learning time. Learn more.
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse: The university, a long-time Mediasite user, put together a webinar for faculty, students and the general campus community about its COVID-19 response. The live webinar was conducted via WebEx and streamed live via Mediasite. Watch here.
- Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C): The Cleveland, Ohio school has been creating a dynamic online learning environment for students for a few years now with Mediasite, and it was prepared when it had to go 100 percent online earlier this month. Read this article in Education IT Reporter to learn how the school is using Mediasite to respond to the crisis.
- University of Applied Sciences Neu-Ulm: The German university quickly rolled out personal video capture software to all faculty to create online lectures and facilitate flipped instruction when classes begin on April 20. Learn more.
- University of Florida: A licensed psychologist and faculty members presented Managing Stress During a Pandemic. Watch here.
- University of Minnesota Health: A professor of medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases and International Medicine at University of Minnesota Health presented COVID-19: Quarantine, Containment and Mitigation. Watch here.
- Xiamen University Malaysia: The university acted fast to keep its classes going in the face of the outbreak, quickly selecting Mediasite as its preferred blended learning solution for about 2,000 students unable to return to Malaysia from China. Its 200 professors are creating online lectures with My Mediasite from their home offices and streaming them to students. The videos are uploaded to Mediasite and streamed to Chinese students locally in China.
- Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): The institution in China converted to an online campus in just days with Mediasite. XJTLU, which began using Mediasite in 2017, fast-tracked a Mediasite infrastructure and technology upgrade to keep virtual classroom doors open. The semester began as planned with 70 percent of the 450 courses available online with support from Mediasite. Professors from around the world are using My Mediasite to create lectures from home, and in the first two days alone faculty created nearly 3,000 lecture videos which students had viewed nearly 100,000 times in that two day period. Learn more. Also, read magazine articles about the school in AV Magazine and Campus Technology.
PSAs & townhalls for healthcare staff, the public
- Tennessee State Government: The Tennessee governor ordered a shelter in place for residents and streamed the address via Mediasite. Watch here.
- The University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center: The division chief and an assistant professor, both from the university’s Division of Infectious Diseases, presented Covid-19 Epidemiology, Clinical Presentation and Prevention. Watch here.
- Among many other institutions using Mediasite are China Europe International Business School, Neusoft Education and Zhejiang University International Campus.
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources: The DNR is urging participants to attend its March 23 stakeholder meeting remotely via Mediasite. Watch here.
- Arkansas Children’s: A doctor from the Arkansas Department of Health presented “Coronavirus: Where Are We Today” to staff at Arkansas Children’s. Watch here.
- The City of Madison Wis.: The city did a news conference via Mediasite about a confirmed case of coronavirus. It’s county executive and major, along with Public Health Madison & Dane County staff, discussed precautionary proactive steps officials have taken. Watch here.
- Vancouver Coastal Health: The healthcare organization hosted two townhalls Mediasite webcast for staff. Its chief medical health officer provided an update on the virus and answered questions about how to best support their clients, patients and residents if they come in for care. Watch Jan. 31 townhall. Watch March 5 townhall.
Virtual Events so the show can go on
- Con-Expo’s CON/AGG: This is North America’s largest construction trade show. Held every three years in Las Vegas, Nev., this massive event features the latest equipment advances and newest technology applications in every aspect of construction. While this event took place in person before the lockdown was put in place, Mediasite Events is currently helping the organization share the valuable content for Conexpo attendees to re-live on demand.
- Knauf Insulation employee townhall: It is one off the fastest growing and most respected names in insulation worldwide. They are committed to helping customers to meet increasing demand for energy efficiency and sustainability in homes, non-residential buildings and industrial applications. Mediasite Events virtually streamed its recent townhall meeting to all employees. Our reports showed that viewership tripled compared to previous meetings.
- Villanova University: The university is thinking outside the box by working with the Mediasite Events team to live stream campus events. The Catholic university live streamed its Palm Sunday church service, led by the university president, a priest. It will also stream its Easter mass, all done virtually by the Events team from Madison, Wis.
- Foundation for Research and Education in Dermatology (FRED): The foundation streams weekly educational videos to dermatologists to keep them up to date with current healthcare information. A recent virtual event saw 20 percent of all U.S. dermatologists watch live, and another 15 percent on-demand. Learn more
- Professional Dairy Producers of Wisconsin: The agriculture association went virtual amid the outbreak and saw nearly 40 percent attendance increase compared to its typical in-person events. Read all about it in these articles in Biz Bash, PCMA Convene and Wisconsin State Farmer.
Mediasite’s professional services team is well versed in helping organizations like Xiamen University Malaysia work through various options for streaming video into China, which is complicated by firewall restrictions. Organizations that need to reach students or employees quarantined in the country or that have campuses or offices there have the option of deploying on-premises Mediasite instances that can be scaled up as needed. Mediasite Video Cloud deployments are also strategically located to serve customers in the Americas, EMEA and Asia which are also tied into global content delivery networks (CDN’s) for efficient delivery.
Additional reading: Organizations are also turning to Mediasite Events to take their events virtual in the face of decreasing conference attendance. Read this blog post, The Show Can Go On Even with Coronavirus Travel Restrictions, for more information.
Fast-track your virtual environment with a discounted quick-start package. Learn more.