Here’s a look at some of the ways organizations are modifying, scaling up or even pivoting their use of Mediasite to meet their new communication needs during the pandemic.
Online learning for students
- Edgecombe Community College: The college in North Carolina selected Mediasite to create video lectures that students can watch online. It is a member of the North Carolina Research and Education Network (NCREN) run by MCNC, a Mediasite partner. Through this partnership, all schools in the state from grades K-20 have access to cost-effective technology and services like Mediasite to start or expand their digital learning initiatives. Learn more
- Western University of Health Sciences: The health professions university pivoted swiftly to virtual learning in the spring with a mix of Mediasite video lectures and collaborative Zoom and Microsoft Teams calls, all available in its learning management systems Blackboard, Canvas and Elentra. Learn more
- Northeast Ohio Medical University: The longtime Mediasite user successfully pivoted to online during the initial spring campus shutdown, and they found the perfect formula for a live hybrid fall: a rotating schedule for on-site and online students and an essential mix of Mediasite streaming live- and on-demand video lectures and Zoom collaborative calls. Medical students of the Rootstown, Ohio university will still get a front row seat to all classes, demos, simulations and campus events, regardless of where they’re learning. Learn more
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine: According to a MedPage Today article, Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York shifted to virtual learning with Mediasite and Zoom. All remaining clinical skills testing is being done via video. Read the article
- University of Leeds: The United-Kingdom-based university, which is home to one of the world’s largest automated video learning programs with Mediasite, is seeing a rapid growth of faculty creating lecture videos during this virtual learning time. Learn more.
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse: The university, a long-time Mediasite user, put together a webinar for faculty, students and the general campus community about its COVID-19 response. The live webinar was conducted via WebEx and streamed live via Mediasite. Watch here.
- Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C): The Cleveland, Ohio school has been creating a dynamic online learning environment for students for a few years now with Mediasite, and it was prepared when it had to go 100 percent online earlier this month. Read this case study to learn about the outcomes.
- University of Applied Sciences Neu-Ulm: The German university quickly rolled out personal video capture software to all faculty to create online lectures and facilitate flipped instruction when classes began in April. Learn more.
- University of Florida: A licensed psychologist and faculty members presented Managing Stress During a Pandemic. Watch here.
- University of Minnesota Health: A professor of medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases and International Medicine at University of Minnesota Health presented COVID-19: Quarantine, Containment and Mitigation. Watch here.
- Xiamen University Malaysia: The university acted fast to keep its classes going in the face of the outbreak, quickly selecting Mediasite as its preferred blended learning solution for about 2,000 students unable to return to Malaysia from China. Its 200 professors are creating online lectures with My Mediasite from their home offices and streaming them to students. The videos are uploaded to Mediasite and streamed to Chinese students locally in China.
- Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU): The institution in China converted to an online campus in just days with Mediasite. XJTLU, which began using Mediasite in 2017, fast-tracked a Mediasite infrastructure and technology upgrade to keep virtual classroom doors open. The semester began as planned with 70 percent of the 450 courses available online with support from Mediasite. Professors from around the world are using My Mediasite to create lectures from home, and in the first two days alone faculty created nearly 3,000 lecture videos which students had viewed nearly 100,000 times in that two day period. Learn more. Also, read magazine articles about the school in AV Magazine and Campus Technology.
PSAs & townhalls for healthcare staff, the public
- Harvard Medical School: Dr. Anthony Fauci spoke to the Harvard Medical community on Sept. 10 during a grand round, and the link is also available to the public. Watch here.
- Tennessee State Government: The Tennessee governor ordered a shelter in place for residents and streamed the address via Mediasite. Watch here.
- The University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center: The division chief and an assistant professor, both from the university’s Division of Infectious Diseases, presented Covid-19 Epidemiology, Clinical Presentation and Prevention. Watch here.
- Among many other institutions using Mediasite are China Europe International Business School, Neusoft Education and Zhejiang University International Campus.
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources: The DNR is urging participants to attend its March 23 stakeholder meeting remotely via Mediasite. Watch here.
- Arkansas Children’s: A doctor from the Arkansas Department of Health presented “Coronavirus: Where Are We Today” to staff at Arkansas Children’s. Watch here.
- The City of Madison Wis.: The city did a news conference via Mediasite about a confirmed case of coronavirus. It’s county executive and major, along with Public Health Madison & Dane County staff, discussed precautionary proactive steps officials have taken. Watch here.
- Vancouver Coastal Health: The healthcare organization hosted two townhalls Mediasite webcast for staff. Its chief medical health officer provided an update on the virus and answered questions about how to best support their clients, patients and residents if they come in for care. Watch Jan. 31 townhall. Watch March 5 townhall.
Virtual Events so the show can go on
- University of Florida virtual homecoming: Students can still experience homecoming festivities … from the comfort and safety of their homes. The university hosted several days of events with the help of Mediasite. Read The Gainesville Sun’s article.
- i-Educate 2020 Virtual Conference: i-Educate is Queensland, Australia’s premiere technology conference for state school leaders, organized by the Department of Education. Due to COVID, this year’s conference turned virtual via a week-long series of workshops. The opening of the conference on Aug. 24 could not have been any more virtual or out of this world. A group of lucky students got to ask live questions to a NASA astronaut onboard the International Space Station via a radio transmission, with the help of JPL Media, a Mediasite partner. Mediasite recorded and streamed the conversation live to homes and schools across Queensland. The event opened up the teachers’ minds to how tech can be used to engage students.
- Distance Teaching & Learning: The University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of Continuing Studies’ annual conference turned to the Mediasite Events team to go fully virtual — and remote attendance tripled and event costs were cut in half. Read all about it
- Foundation for Research and Education in Dermatology (FRED): The foundation streams weekly educational videos to dermatologists to keep them up to date with current healthcare information. A recent virtual event saw 20 percent of all U.S. dermatologists watch live, and another 15 percent on-demand. Learn more
- Con-Expo’s CON/AGG: This is North America’s largest construction trade show. Held every three years in Las Vegas, Nev., this massive event features the latest equipment advances and newest technology applications in every aspect of construction. While this event took place in person before the lockdown was put in place, Mediasite Events is currently helping the organization share the valuable content for Conexpo attendees to re-live on demand.
- Knauf Insulation employee townhall: It is one off the fastest growing and most respected names in insulation worldwide. They are committed to helping customers to meet increasing demand for energy efficiency and sustainability in homes, non-residential buildings and industrial applications. Mediasite Events virtually streamed its recent townhall meeting to all employees. Our reports showed that viewership tripled compared to previous meetings.
- Villanova University: The university is thinking outside the box by working with the Mediasite Events team to live stream campus events. The Catholic university live streamed its Palm Sunday church service, led by the university president, a priest. It will also stream its Easter mass, all done virtually by the Events team from Madison, Wis.
- Professional Dairy Producers of Wisconsin: The agriculture association went virtual amid the outbreak and saw nearly 40 percent attendance increase compared to its typical in-person events. Read all about it in these articles in Biz Bash, PCMA Convene and Wisconsin State Farmer.
Mediasite’s professional services team is well versed in helping organizations like Xiamen University Malaysia work through various options for streaming video into China, which is complicated by firewall restrictions. Organizations that need to reach students or employees quarantined in the country or that have campuses or offices there have the option of deploying on-premises Mediasite instances that can be scaled up as needed. Mediasite Video Cloud deployments are also strategically located to serve customers in the Americas, EMEA and Asia which are also tied into global content delivery networks (CDN’s) for efficient delivery.
Learn how Mediasite can help at mediasite.com/coronavirus.